Saturday, March 16, 2013

and then there was olive...



You may remember me mentioning that I had a story for you...

So... this happened.  On Monday, March 4, my mom and I took an hour and a half trip to go pick up this little girl.  Her name is Olive and she's the sweetest almost-11-week-old baby you've ever met.

Roger's in love with her.

But, here's the details.  She's a long-haired Chihuahua.  Why a Chihuahua?  We really really wanted a Golden Retriever puppy.  But, unfortunately, since we don't know what our living situation will be in a few months, we decided that a puppy that needs a yard and plenty of exercise probably wasn't the wisest decision at this point in our lives.

Roger told me to research some breeds and pick out three that I liked and then we would decide together.  Honestly, a Chihuahua is about the last kind of dog I ever thought I'd have.  No joke.  But once I started researching them more and more, they started to grow on me.

So, kind of by a miracle, Roger agreed with my pick and we started to look for available puppies.   We had a pretty long list of wants when it came to a puppy... things like:
  • healthy living conditions
  • parents on site
  • raised with children/other animals
  • up to date with vet checks, all shots, etc.

We found a lot of puppies but either they didn't have everything on our list or they were $1,500 (not a joke).  Finally, we found a litter of three puppies on Sunday the 2nd and contacted the owner.  She said there was one female and two males and they were all still available.

We immediately fell in love with pictures of the little girl.  The owner said the little girl was shy, which was something that I liked, because I didn't want a high-strung yappy dog.

So Monday after work, my mom and I took a drive to pick her up.  We got to meet her parents and her litter mates and spent about an hour there just asking questions and making sure everything was good to go.  We brought her home to meet my sisters and Roger and she's been an awesome addition to our lives ever since.

She only weighed 1lb 5oz at her last vet check on February 27th.  She has another appointment on March 25th for more shots so we'll see how much she's really grown since we got her!




I love her like crazy.  She's so cuddly, and she definitely knows who I am and gets sad when I leave the room.  It's crazy to me to think that this is the puppy that will be playing with my kids someday.  She's going to see so much with us.  Moving, school, new jobs... Craaazy.  Alright.  Slow down.  No need to talk about that right now.

We're definitely so in love with our new baby girl, Olive.

No comments:

Post a Comment